Monday, January 18, 2010

No more checklists!

Hey girls,
I was doing my step studies homework tonight and just reflecting on Genesis 3:1-13 The Fall of Man. I have read this story too many times to count. This story was read to me over and over during my Christian school days. Until now, I never fully realized the weight of my sin.
Gen. 3:8-10: 8. Then the man and his wife heard the sound of the Lord and they hid from the LORD God among the trees of the garden. 9. But the Lord God called to the man, "Where are you?" 10. He (man) answered, "I heard you in the garden and I was afraid because I was naked; so I hid."
Before I came to the village I was just like Adam and Eve. The Lord obviously knew my sin, but instead of going to Him for help I decided to hide my face from Him when I needed Him the most. I'm so thankful for a homegroup full of ladies who are open and honest with each other. I've never experienced a place where I could talk about my sin and get Godly counsel and advice. I've always been told to keep my problems inside and deal with them myself until I was "good enough" for God. That's exactly what I did. I tried to get to a place where I was "good enough" to start my relationship with Him. You can imagine what that did to my relationsip with the Lord. I fell into the trap of "religion over relationship". My relationship with Christ was a checklist that I needed to complete in order to be worthy enough in God's sight and in the sight of those with whom I surrounded myself. That led to apathy towards my Savior. My walk was ritualistic and in no way heartfelt. Through the grace of God I came to the Village and God opened my eyes. I will never be good enough, but praise God because through Christ's blood I am seen as holy and blameless in His sight.
Today, I am grateful. Grateful for grace. I am also in awe of an amazing God who loves me when I am at my worst. I am glad that the Lord is faithful to remind me of these things. I am so unworthy, but God is chasing me and wooing me day by day to bring me to a REAL relationship with Him and He's showing me that I'm no longer that girl who is desperately trying to check things off of a list in order to gain approval. Thank you, Lord!

~Megan

1 comment:

  1. Megan, it's so amazing that God opened your eyes to see His grace in a new and profound way! Your thoughts reminded me of Paul's words in Romans...

    "Therefore, since we have been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ. Through him we have obtained access by faith into this grace in which we stand, and we rejoice in hope of the glory of God. More than that, we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character, and character produces hope, and hope does not put us to shame, because God's love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us.
    For while we were still weak, at the right time Christ died for the ungodly. For one will scarcely die for a righteous person-though perhaps for a good person one would dare even to die-but God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Since, therefore, we have now been justified by his blood, much more shall we be saved by him from the wrath of God. For if while we were enemies we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, now that we are reconciled, shall we be saved by his life. More than that, we also rejoice in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have now received reconciliation." -Romans 5:1-11

    ReplyDelete